Wednesday, January 6, 2010
2009 in Review
Borrowed from a missionary blogging friend in Austria
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Led a Boxes for Missionary Wives project and a Delivery of Home Baked Goodies to Area Families project.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I usually set some goals for the year at some point, but don't focus much on "resolutions" because then I get discouraged.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth or get pregnant?
A dear friend was pregnant and miscarried this past fall. Another dear friend delivered her precious baby Lily Grace.
4. Did anyone close to you get married?
5. Did anyone close to you die?
Not anyone close.
We went to a conference in Virginia...I think in February.
7. Did you move anywhere?
No. Stayed at home-sweet-home!
8. What was the best month?
Not sure; I probably enjoyed December best.
9. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A better memory--I'm so forgetful! More exercise. Keep a cleaner home.
10. What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Uh, see #9--I'm forgetful, remember?!
11. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Teaching ladies' Bible study and learning a lot!
Planting and harvesting my first garden!
12. What was your biggest failure?
Not using time wisely. Not writing every day. Not enough exercise.
13. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really, other than increased migraine headaches, to which I found the answer! Praise the Lord! (See my blog post The Answer to My Migraines.)
14. What was the best thing you bought?
The best things others bought me were my new camera (from my husband) and my new toaster oven (from my daughter Chrystal)!
The best things I bought myself were basic clothing needs--solid coloured turtleneck sweaters, black jacket, etc. Much of this was purchased from money given to me by our church ladies!
15. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband's... He is amazing. He works seven days a week and still makes time for US!
16. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
17. Where did most of your money go?
Bills and debt--trying to get caught up due to the economy and six months with no work last year.
18. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
At home: precious time with my husband, and also my first garden.
At church: Grant's and Matt's salvations, as well as the new people God has sent to our church.
19. What song will always remind you of 2009?
If there is one, it would probably be "Secret Place" by the Booth Brothers. (See my blog post Secret Place to watch the video. You'll need to scroll to the bottom and pause the regular music player on the blog.)
20. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I'm happy and content.
ii. richer or poorer? I'm still content!
21. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More God-focus. Shown more gratitude. Done more writing.
22. What do you wish you'd done less of?
23. How did you spend New Year's Eve/Day?
New Year's Eve I relaxed with my husband.
New Year's Day I made Porzelky (New Year's Cookies)--a German Mennonite recipe of deep-fried raisin fritters dipped in sugar, which are a tradition in our family.
24. What was an unexpected surprise?
Going away for our 2nd anniversary to St. Jacobs, Ontario--hubby planned the whole thing as a surprise!
25. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Fell in love with Jesus and my husband all over again!
26. What was the best concert you've been to this year?
Greater Vision and the Booth Brothers
27. What was your favorite TV program?
Didn't really have a favourite or watch a regular show. When we watch TV, we probably watch Fox News more than anything. I admire Sean Hannity's assertiveness and Bill O'Reilly's vocabulary. Glenn Beck's drama makes me laugh! I appreciate their open discussion and conservative take on political issues.
28. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn't dislike this time last year?
I don't think so.
29. What was the best book you read?
Enjoyed some historical fiction on the Tudor monarchs this year, borrowed from the public library. Still finishing up Jungle Pilot, about the life of missionary-martyr Nate Saint.
30. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Grandbaby Kyla discovering music! She likes Greater Vision and the Booth Brothers too! :)
31. What did you want and get?
I didn't think about wanting a new camera, but I love it that my husband noticed that I enjoy taking pictures and bought me a much better camera than I had before! (The picture in this post was taken with the new one!)
32. What did you want and not get?
The house redecorated: all wallpaper stripped, all rooms repainted! (But these are my projects, so I need to add these to my New Year's list!)
33. What was your favorite film of this year?
34. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37, and my husband and kids arranged a surprise dinner at The Iron Grill. Then I went to Bible study and the ladies had put money together for me for a shopping spree!
35. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing our children desiring a personal walk with the Lord.
36. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
"Goes with more than one thing" and warm--my winter clothing anyway! (I've been working on transitioning my wardrobe from Florida to Canada for the past two years!)
37. What kept you sane?
The Lord, of course! Some vehicles He's used other than His Word are music, reading, writing, and gardening.
38. What political issue stirred you the most?
All US political issues stir me.
39. Who did you miss?
My mom and dad.
40. Random Memories from 2009?
Grandbaby Kyla learning to talk and walk, ladies in Bible study grasping God's unconditional love for them, ever learning to keep a house that is truly a haven, marveling again at the fact that "Christ [is] IN [me], the hope of glory" and that I am "complete in Him" (Col. 1:27 and 2:10).