Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bread Alternative

I just tried this and it's good... albeit different. It's from my Yeast Connection Cookbook.

Yeast-free, Egg-free Buckwheat Cakes/Flatbread
1 C buckwheat flour
1 tsp sea salt (optional)
(I added a pinch of fructose... optional.)
1 to 1 1/2 C water (or more if needed to make batter thinner)
1 Tb oil

Make on griddle as pancakes on medium heat. (Don't forget to oil the griddle/fry pan.) These cook very quickly because they are very flat and thin. Flip each when bubble-holes form.

Use as bread for sandwiches for brown-bagging, or serve for breakfast with fresh fruit and yogurt on top... maybe even with maple syrup or honey!

Use wherever you would use bread.

I made an open-face sandwich snack with deli chicken (Naturals brand--no preservatives) and brown mustard on one buckwheat cake. Delicious!

P.S. I stored them between wax paper (saved from cereal boxes!) in a pita bread bag I already had. :)

Raising Homemakers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate your comments and personal emails regarding this blog. It is a blessing to me to hear if something with which God has blessed me also blesses you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails