Friday, April 23, 2010

Never Spring Clean Your Home Again

Oh my goodness! Jesus just went into my washroom!

Can you see your kitchen counter top? Do you need to kick items out of the way to get to bed? Or perhaps your clutter is mostly hidden? The average guest to your home can't see it because it's in the basement or in a back room. Maybe it's just the corners and edges that have accumulated dirt so that you always have that nagging voice in your mind that your house isn't really clean.

If you're overwhelmed and don't know where to start, or you're just a procrastinator (like me!), I encourage you to try Fly Lady. They walk you through baby steps that get you going in the right direction, and eventually catch you up on your home, to the point that you no longer have to dread spring cleaning. Actually, you will never have to spring clean in the way you used to dread--ever again!

I'll admit, Fly Lady teaches how to do all the things my mom taught me (or tried to teach me!) when I was growing up. I don't know about you, but sometimes it seems there's more than a short learning curve!

Suddenly Mom isn't here, and it's all on you! Meanwhile, you're trying to feed baby, get children off to school, perhaps hold down a job, cook supper, and be supportive of your husband--all at the same time! You wonder why your house doesn't just clean itself like your mother's did! If you're like me, when you were a kid, you simply followed the chore list Mom made for you, and after that, your day was free. And the house was still miraculously clean!

A refrigerator magnet I once saw in the workplace has real meaning: Your mother doesn't work here!

I have to decide what my priorities are. Do I truly believe that, as the Bible says, I am the homemaker (my husband is not), that my home should be a haven for me, as well as for my husband and children (Proverbs 31:10-31)? If I believe that, I need to reorganise my priorities.

I may say, "I don't want to" or "I don't care if my home is clean or not" (which I don't believe is really true of any lady). However, if this is my God-ordained role, I truly will not feel fulfilled unless I fulfill that role. I know that is not a popular message nowadays, but the Bible is still Truth. I have found that the days when I am organised and I accomplish things that make my home a haven, I feel content, satisfied, and fulfilled. The days that I am lazy or tell myself "I don't care" are the days I am depressed, discontented, and unfulfilled.

Let me clarify. I do not mean that I can never have a lazy day, or that I should never relax. In fact, the days that my husband is off work are usually days when I am lazy and relax on purpose, or accomplish much less, because I choose to spend that time with him. But don't we all know that the best relaxation comes after hard work or significant accomplishment?

Here's another question: What would your life be like if your husband took the same attitude toward his job that you take toward your homemaking? Would you have the home you have? Would you be able to purchase groceries and clothing?

It's great if your husband helps you in the home, especially if you are also working outside the home. But certainly if you are a full-time homemaker, the home is your job. How seriously do you take your career? Do you take any pride in it?

I encourage you to join me in using Fly Lady if you do not currently have your home to the level that you are unashamed. If Jesus Christ came over as a guest in your home tonight, would you be embarrassed? Would you cringe when He went to use your washroom? It doesn't have to be this way.

Jesus understands the days when nothing goes as planned, we have a sick little one, we ourselves are sick, the car breaks down, and supper burns. He is our understanding Friend, and He will wipe away our tears and comfort us. Then He will cheer us on, giving us His strength, as we get back on track.

If you feel overwhelmed about your house, talk to Jesus about it. Ask Him for the strength, courage, determination, discipline, and godly pride to simply get started.

If you have a method other than Fly Lady or any tips to help us homemakers, feel free to comment below.

Now I think I'll put some good, ol' Southern Gospel music on my stereo, and get busy!

2 comments:

  1. I just love flylady! Her system changed how I live my life. I think I will always be a flybaby but that's ok!

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments and personal emails regarding this blog. It is a blessing to me to hear if something with which God has blessed me also blesses you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails